Kristy: A Denton Area Doula
A little about my past and how it helps me as a doula
I have lived in Denton county for over ten years. I have loved living in Denton county and feel very blessed serving as a Denton area doula. I worked for over ten years as a Computed Tomography Technologist (CT tech) and a Radiologic Technologist (x-ray tech). Three of those years I also served as the Imaging Supervisor of an outpatient and stand-alone emergency center. I have several years of experience in working in the emergency department (ER) and the operating room (OR) as well as with both inpatients and out patients. After many years working as part of a medical team, I am very comfortable in medical situations.
Even though labor is not necessarily an emergency situation and the mother is not sick, delivering a child can be stressful for the mother and father. Often just being reassured that this is normal goes a long way to making a family more at ease. From time-to-time, a situation may arise where the labor or delivery diverts from normal and the situation requires more attention, being able to keep a family calm in such situations can make all the difference in the world.
Working in radiology, I was often asked to perform an exam on a patient that was in a great deal of pain and/or fear/anxiety. One of the skills that made me very good at my job was being able to keep a patient calm and work with the him/her to find a way to perform the exam while keeping him/her as comfortable as possible. A doula's most vital skill is to be able to keep mom and dad calm and work as a team to help mom stay as relaxed and as comfortable as possible. Taking the time to really listen to clients and provide them with information they need to make informed decisions empowers parents and prepares them to be pillars of strength for their new families.
10 Things You Probably Don't Know About Me
- I met my husband on Twitter.
- My husband and I are board gamers. We attend Board Game Geek Con every other year. We have approximately 80 board games, not including expansions.
- I am a total geek. I love sci-fi. I'm a big fan of Marvel but I don't really care much for DC. I love superhero, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, space, alternate reality, etc stories.
- I love organizing and putting things into categories. I once created a spreadsheet in order to make sure I watched every Star Trek episode and film in star date order.
- My husband and I love to cook. We even own a home baking business, Kapp's Kitchen, that we one day hope to turn into a cafe...maybe even a board game cafe.
- I love to travel and plan vacations for fun. My favorite type of travel is a road trip.
- When I was a kid, we were on a party line with two other houses. If you don't know what that is, you should look it up...it will blow your mind.
- I once called tech help when my computer was making a crazy noise. I found out later that it was the plastic covering of a Capri Sun straw caught in the fan. Surprisingly, I later went on to work in IT for a year. HA!
- I won best of show in a science fair when I was in sixth grade. The science fair included elementary and high school.
- If I don't write down a to-do list every morning, I feel like my world is on the verge of collapse.
"...but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."